Nine years ago I stood in a hotel room looking out the window onto a courtyard. I watched as employees set-up chairs in rows one-by-one. The sky was a piercing blue and the temperature was warm, yet breezy. My hair was perfectly coiffed and my make-up was shimmering. I was ready.
The most important people in my life surrounded me and kept asking me the same questions. “How do you feel? Are you nervous?” My answer always came with a smile. “No… I’m happy.”
On the day I married, I wasn’t nervous or anxious or concerned about anything. I was still. So still and calm – perhaps for the first time in my life.
I knew I was beginning a journey that wouldn’t always be perfect, but would always feel right. I was choosing a path of love and second chances. I was choosing a path where the drama and turmoil of my early twenties was far behind me. I was choosing to marry someone who wanted to be my partner and saw the best version of me – even when I couldn’t.
My marriage is not perfect. I am not living a fairy tale, but nine years later I am still confident in the decision I made that day. I love my life and my family. The family we have built together. The life and rules we have carved out for ourselves.
We are both impassioned people and some days we get on each other’s nerves. Some days we argue. We don’t always fight fair and feelings sometimes get hurt. Some days we want to just walk away from each other for a couple of hours, but we always come back and remember why we chose each other. Our eyes meet and we can’t stay angry long (believe me I’ve tried). I wonder if this is what true love is all about. Not perfection, but forgiveness… and above all a willingness. A willingness to make it work. Not for the sake of the kids, but for the sake of each other and the dreams we share as a couple.
Here are 9 Reasons I love My Marriage and Husband:
- We are amazing on vacations (without the kids)! Send us on a trip and it’s like we fall in love all over again. We walk hand-in-hand and remember what it’s like to live. We share the same passion for good food and can really take in a destination with awe and wonder.
- If I have an idea for a business or a project, my husband never rolls his eyes. He may not always understand it, but he supports me. I in turn support him with everything he decides to do as well (even when it comes to sports – blah).
- We love each other’s parents and understand the importance of family. We both go out of our way to be a good son and daughter, as well as a good son-in-law and daughter-in-law, because we have prioritized these relationships in our lives.
- Not once has he referred to my oldest son as mine. All four of our children are “ours.” He is dedicated to all our children and is the first to step-up to take the kids to sports practice or games.
- Every night, whether we have a kid in bed with us or not, he touches his cold feet to my legs. Sometimes it’s to bother me, but mostly it’s his way of saying, “I’m here next to you and I love you.”
- There is no shortage of displays of affection. He will hold my hand, kiss me and hug me, whether we are at home or in public.
- He understands my passion for writing and believes in me. He is the first to share my blog posts and brags about me to anyone he meets.
- Our children always come first. He is a wonderful father and everything we do is always about what is best for our kids.
- We are both dreamers with big ideas and plans for our lives. We want to travel the world and live at the beach. We want to win the lottery and buy that mansion. We want to eat good food and sip quality wine. But, mostly we want to be together.
Today, I feel as lucky and as in love as I did that gorgeous Sunday evening on Memorial Day Weekend nine years ago. The day I married my best friend and partner for life. Happy Anniversary to us!